Historic Downtown

31 Downtown Carterville

Carterville was founded in 1871 when George McNeill donated a portion of his farm to form a downtown area, and he proudly proclaimed the street that he divided between his farm and that of his neighbor's farm as "Division Street."

Today, the three-block area between Grand Avenue and James Street, as well as portions of Illinois Avenue, all which surround the historic Division Street of Carterville's downtown area, is the focus of downtown development plans that are in process.

Merchants of this area have an incentive to redevelop their building facade and other improvements; click here for details.