John A. Logan Community College
700 Logan Road
Established in Carterville in 1967, and first classes beginning in 1968, John A. Logan Community College has been providing excellence in education to students from around the country. The college is named for John A. Logan, a Civil War general who later represented Illinois in the United States Congress as a member of both the House and Senate.
The school offers career preparation programs as well as a two-year college transfer curriculum, which is articulated with Illinois’ four-year universities. Its online offerings include noncredit courses on topics not normally found in the higher education curriculum. Currently, JALC has more than 150 degrees and certificates that a student can choose from as their major.
The college has been accredited since 1972 by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. In 2008, the Higher Learning Commission approved it to offer an online Associate of Arts degree.
The John A. Logan College Museum on the college campus provides exhibits and educational programs focused on Southern Illinois, including its visual arts, cultural heritage, and natural history. A special feature of the museum is the Purdy School, a one-room schoolhouse from nearby Perry County, that served as a public school from around 1860 until 1951 and was moved to the campus in 1983. The museum also displays works by regional artists and craftspersons, ethnic textiles, and prints by Salvador Dali.